The 29th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron was originally assigned to the 7th Photographic Reconnaissance and Mapping Group on 1 May 1943. On 21 June 1943, the 29th was re-assigned to the Third Air Force Photographic Unit Training Center, itself attached to the 2nd Photographic Reconnaissance Group. Finally, from 9 October 1943 through 1 May 1944, the 29th was assigned directly to the 2nd Photographic Reconnaissance Group.
The primary mission of the 29th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron was the training of photo reconnaissance pilots and technicians.
(1) This Lightning - S/N 43-28974 - was originally built as a P-38J-15-LO, at Lockheed's Burbank, California plant. It was later converted to F-5E-2-LO specifications.