California, Alameda - The USS Hornet (CV-12) Museum
Appropriately moored among a fleet of naval vessels, the USS Hornet Museum occupies Pier 3 at Alameda Point.Having played key roles in two of the greatest American undertakings of the Twentieth Century – victory in World War Two and winning the “Race to the Moon” – the USS Hornet is truly a historic warship. Commissioned on 29 November 1943, at the Norfolk Naval Yard, this Hornet (CV-12) joined Task Force 58 six months later at Majuro in the Marshall Islands. Named after the famous – and short lived (one year and six days of operational service) – USS Hornet (CV-8) that delivered Doolittle’s Army B-25 strike against Japan, helped destroy the Imperial Japanese Navy’s (IJN) Kido Butai - IJN’s carrier task force - at Midway and supported and defended US Marines on Guadalcanal – this new Hornet soon began to extract the full retribution for the IJN’s sinking of her namesake at the Battle of Santa Cruz.
However, her claim to fame in the modern age was as the recovery carrier for NASA’s first two Apollo lunar missions, most notably Apollo 11 which placed two Americans – Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin – on the moon. The first steps taken by these two, and command module pilot Michael Collins, back on earth were aboard the USS Hornet.
Aboard today’s Hornet – the USS Hornet Museum – you can visit, see and experience fascinating exhibits of all these great achievements. Approaching the imposing, powerfully-built, slate gray bulk of the carrier moored to Pier 3 one is immediately struck by the might and majesty of U.S. Navy carrier operations, even at rest. Parked between the large gray forms of major auxiliaries of the Fleet Ready Reserve, Hornet appears to be standing guard over her non-combatant sisters, her 5-inch guns flanking the flight deck at the ready and a Grumman Tracker perched on the bow.
Past Featured Museums:
- Arizona, Williams - Planes of Fame
- California, Alameda - The USS Hornet (CV-12) Museum
- California, San Carlos - Hiller Aviation Museum
- Colorado, Colorado Springs - The Peterson Air & Space Museum
- Florida, Lakeland - Florida Air Museum at Sun'n Fun
- Florida: Central Florida - Five Museums in Two Days
- Michigan, Selfridge ANG Base - Selfridge Military Air Museum
- New Mexico, Albuquerque - The National Atomic Museum
- North Carolina, Hendersonville - Western North Carolina Air Museum
- Ohio, Wapakoneta - The Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum
- Switzerland, Lucerne - The Swiss Transport Museum
- Texas, San Antonio - The Texas Air Museum
- Thailand, Bangkok: Royal Thai Police Museum and The National Science Centre
- Utah, Hill Air Force Base - The Hill Aerospace Museum
- Washington, Vancouver - Pearson Air Museum